Sunday, June 13, 2010

Tithing?

Tithe, hmmmn alot of people just swarm in their seats at the mention of this word.  In fact this word has kept many people from going to church because of the concept they have about this issue.
We are smart enough to know that every organization needs money to function! Every dream, every materialistic item we want in our life cost money.  But when the house of the Lord asks for money...it's thought to be wrong for some. 
Receiving the grace of God and his salvation plan is FREE, receiving his many blessings are FREE, receiving his love for us and our family is FREE....it's all FREE.  But the church needs money to pay for that electric and water bill, to pay for phone in which we call for our pastors prayer in time of need.  We will criticize if the church does not have a good Sunday school program or facilities and support staff.  But when the sermon is about tithing...hmmmn we don't like it.

We have a moral obligation as children of God, and if we attend regularly to a church we should be a productive member rather then a spectator.  We are the church.
The Bible sets clear statements as to how much we should give in tithe.  In the Old Testament Abraham paid a tenth of his earnings to Melchizedek (As the King of Righteousness, Melchizedek was the image of God's Spirit (see Colossians 1:15 and Hebrews 1:3)And Jacob vowed to give a tenth to God.
In the New Testament in I Corinthians 16: 1- 2, II Corinthians 9: 5-15 tithe remains a principle for Christians.

Lord, I first of all, I am guilty of not tithing as I should and even at that you have given me countless blessings in my life.  I know that I spend on other things that are just materialist or wants, I know that if you sat at my dining room table and went through my checkbook, your house of worship would be the least drafted.  We love to go to your house of worship and hear the musicians, sit in that comfortable chair you have provided, listen to the words out of the man you have blessed to share your news with us....make me responsible, give me the passion to tithe, give and then reap from your blessings.

I know it's hard at times, we have bills, need to put food on the table, gas in the car.  I am guilty of all above.  Today I sit here and look around my house, looking at the simple things I possess. Everything I have was made possible because of you.  As God did for us, I vow to do better, to give not because of feeling obligated, but to give because I believe.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment