Saturday, January 22, 2011

Valentine's Day

Sigh, February is just around the corner. For many it's their favorite month because of Valentine's Day, but for those that are unmarried or not in a relationship, its the dreaded month of pink & red!

I can still recall being in elementary school and Valentine's was our favorite month. We'd get to decorate our shoe box and we had no worries about not receiving any valentines because everyone got some. You had too, your mom made sure you bought for every single name on your class list!!!.

Then Junior High became little more difficult, at this age peer pressure can make or break your self esteem.  This is the age when everyone knew if you were in the popular group, you'd receive a candy gram or the ever popular ID bracelet from a boyfriend. But none the less I knew with my Mother's Christian beliefs that me having a boyfriend was nonexistent. I can still recall how me and my closest girlfriends would buy small tokens for each other and labeling it "From your Secret Admirer"......that kept others wondering and of course made us feel cool, or was the word "hip"?

In High School and College we began to have minds of our own. It was just plain & simple if your dating you receive, if not you didn't....but for some reason, as I remember it didn't matter as much during this age group. At least not for me. 

And now we're all grown up, some of us are single, divorced and alone. It's not like in grade school when your name appeared on a list and you were guaranteed to receive something.  But what we forget is that Valentine's Day isn't just for couples, its a day to show the special people in your life that you care and love them. For many of us our kids have made this day special by giving us a small heart of candy or a colored picture saying "I love you" our name is always on the top of the list with them.

So this Valentine's Day remember it is OK to call your single buddies and invite them to dinner or a movie or even buy your friends a special card or gift. Then again it's just fine to curl up on the sofa with a good book all alone, because we really aren't alone...

Remember the song "Jesus loves me this I know, for the bible tells me so.........."

What greater gift then this.....

  
The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it~

1 Thes. 5:24

Have a Happy Valentine's Day.







No comments:

Post a Comment