Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Graduating Seasons

My youngest daughter will be graduating this year. It's funny how many feel that when you graduate from high school, life begins. Of course once you graduate college you feel, finally life can begin. And when you land that job you've been dreaming about, we think, "Now I can begin my life."
And then as we reach certain milestones or encounter detours in life, we think, "Today I begin my new life!"

As my daughter flips through the local college catalog, she looks up at me with excitement and yet fear. She asks, "Mom, give me advice so that I can make the right choices. When does my life really begin?"
I smiled and replied "It begins over and over at different times of your life."

"For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven." (Ecclesiastics 3:1, NLT)

This verse states that there is a "season" or "time" for everything that is part of human life.

As my daughter begins her steps towards beginning her grown up life, I reflect on mine. Has my life been the example that I hope will help her in making choices for her future? Has she noticed that when I failed, I tried my hardest to stand back up? Have I shown her that I learned from my mistakes? Did she witness me forgive and forget? When I walked across the stage to receive my degree, did she realize that I had to give up a lot to get ahead? Does she know that It's alright to say no? Has she seen me give and not expect? Can she see that I do not follow, but try to lead?

Can she see that I don't know everything, but want to learn as much as I can? Has she seen me deal with consequences for my past choices? Has she noticed when I give up the front seat to anyone older than I? Has she noticed that when I was shy, it meant I was going to be last? Did she hear me speak up for what was right? Has she seen me defend those that need defending? Have I shown her my pride, in my freedom to vote?

Does she know that I fear God?

I hope that my daughter lets God lead her life, and that my life lessons can somehow be her guide to a better life for her.

Today I begin my new life, as a better person, mother, sister, friend and teacher. I guess it's my season to help her season be the best that God can provide....
Congratulations to all the Seniors!

~ Bernice S. Rubio

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful words. Your daughter will treasure them forever as she goes through her different seasons of life.

    ReplyDelete